Double K's Take: What I DON'T like about the A's move to Vegas...

 Double K’s Classroom

Double K’s Take…

August 7th, 2023

What I DON'T like about the A's  move to Vegas…

image_guitar.jpg

The threat of moving…

                                                               A few years ago there were rumblings that the Oakland Athletics may be moving out of the city I have always known them to be from. And yes I know that they were the Philadelphia and Kansas City Athletics before they moved to Oakland. For the entirety of my existence on this planet (45 years) the Athletics franchise has had its home games at the Coliseum. I enjoyed the likes of Rickey Henderson, Dave Stewart, Bob Welch and Dennis Eckersley  lead the A’s to success game after game. This continued well into the early 2000’s and the days of Mulder, Zito and Hudson. I say all of this to say that I thought this team was never going to leave the Bay Area, there was talk of the team possibly moving to San Jose. Due to issues with the city of Oakland, the Athletics were close to leaving their home. But then every time that we thought for sure they were leaving some last minute hail mary would give us hope of them staying again. 

                                                                 And that's what I thought was going on this time, but alas it seems as if this time it is the real deal. I have friends who understand this situation way better than I do that think the Athletics still aren't leaving. But all I know is that land has already been bought for the stadium and the A’s have applied for Relocation to Vegas, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The only baseball team I have ever been a fan of is moving from what I have always known to be its home. The 49ers moved to Santa Clara and the Warriors moved to San Francisco. I stayed with both of them because they stayed within the state lines. This one is going to be a tough one to swallow….



Will I remain a Fan?

                                                       I have always lived by the philosophy that I am a fan of the franchise and not the city, no offense to the City of Oakland. It is an amazing city with a lot of rich culture to share.  But I am a fan of the Athletics' franchise as I have been all my life and that isn't changing. So will I remain an A's fan if they move to Vegas? Yes I will, I just won't be attending many home games and the only time I will see them live is when they play the Giants in SF. And speaking of San Fran the bay bridge series will now be officially dead this will hurt the most because out of all my favorite teams and their arch rival the A’s vs Giants was the last one standing. After this move that will be gone so as a fan of the series I will be sorry to see it go. 


What’s left of this season…

This season is pretty much an objective disaster and the A’s are 32-80 as of the writing of this post and don't look to be getting much better. They just completed winning the Tom Pellack Memorial Bridge Trophy this year with their series win over the cross town rival San Francisco Giants. It looks as though the playoffs are definitely not in the cards and the most that Athletics fans can hope for is the end of what may be their final season in Oakland. That's a strong finish and maybe a little hope for future season if you remain a fan after they leave Oakland. 






Comments